6 million people will flock to Munich to celebrate Oktoberfest. If you’re not lucky enough to be one of them have no fear! You can celebrate Oktoberfest right here in Newport Beach, California. Several Newport Beach restaurants will be throwing their own version of the world’s largest fair complete with Bavarian food, beer, music, and specials. And no, you won’t need to show up wearing lederhosen — but you can if you’d like!
Balboa Bay Resort
The Balboa Bay Resort is celebrating Oktoberfest with lunch, dinner, and beer specials at both First Cabin and Duke’s Place.
Some of the delicacies from Executive Chef Vincent Lesage include:
- Marinated herring with sour cream, onions and Granny Smith apples
- Choice of Weisswurst, Bavarian Bratwurst or Wienerle served with sauerkraut, potato salad, horseradish and mustard
- Wiener Schnitzel – a slow roasted pork shank and bratwurst with bread dumpling, red cabbage, parsley potatoes, and caraway jus
- Müncher Sauerbraten – Prepared just like in Munich’s “Hofbräuhaus”, tender braised beef served with red cabbage and spaetzle
Of course the feast wouldn’t be complete without beer.
Both the First Cabin and Duke’s offer:
- Erdinger Weissbier
- Weihenstephaner Oktoberfest
- Innstadt Oktoberfest
- Paulaner Munich Lager
The event runs through October at the waterfront resort.
Bayside is also creating a special for the month of October.
Executive Chef Paul Grstrein also hails from Austria. The one-time OC Business Journal Chef of the Year chef has created a $39.95, 3-course prix fixe menu.
First course choices include:
- Smoked trout salad with horseradish, celery, Granny Smith apples and petit greens
- Weinberg salad with organic greens, Anjou pears, grapes, bleu cheese, shaved red onion and pistachios.
Guests can enjoy one of two main course choices:
- Hähnchenbrust – lightly breaded chicken breast stuffed with black forest ham and Appenzeller cheese
- Bayrishe Weisswurst – traditional Bavarian pork served with house-made sauerkraut, pretzel bread and Old World mustard.
The meal also includes a dessert of chocolate hazelnut bread pudding.
Back Bay Bistro
The waterfront eatery at the Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort and Marina is serving up Brats & Brew. Enjoy bratwurst over fresh sliced grilled apple with cabbage slaw and spicy mustard served with your choice of an ice-cold draft beer. The $8 platter is available Wednesday through Sunday between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Newport Beach Brew Co.
For those looking for a local spin on Bavarian beer that adheres to brewing laws for nearly 500 years, the Newport Beach Brew Co. is one spot you will have to visit. Pair any meal from the Brew Co.’s expansive menu with the Brew Co.’s Oktoberfest beer. While not brewed in Germany, the Newport Beach Brewing Co.’s beer is brewed using the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516, also called “Reinheitsgebot.” Why is that important? Because the beer is made with only three ingredients, barley, hops and water. Many other breweries use rice and preservatives. The Oktoberfest beer at Newport Beach Brew Co. is a traditional Marzen style lager.
No matter where you celebrate Oktoberfest, make sure you arrive and depart safely with the help of a non-drinking driver.
Do you have a favorite Oktoberfest spot in Newport Beach not mentioned here? Leave us a comment, and we will check it out!